Simple Urad Daal
“Urad daal”, which is popularly used in South India to make Idlis, Dosas, Vadas and Chutneys is used in North India to make a very delicious Punjabi style daal to be eaten with Rotis or Pooris. It is a delicious preparation with the daal tasting soft and delicious melting in your mouth with every bite.
- Clean and wash the daal really well and soak it in water while you prepare the masala. Unlike Idli this style of daal does not need a lot of soaking.
- In a thick bottomed pan or a pressure cooker heat the oil. Add the Cumin seeds and Bay leaves once they start to splutter add the Ginger, Garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the chopped Onion and sauté till almost Brown. Now add the chopped Tomatoes and sauté for around 7 – 8 minutes or till the Oil starts to separate.
- Add all the dry ingredients Salt, Turmeric, Red Chilli, Coriander and Garam masala powder and sauté carefully ensuring your masalas don’t burn.
- Drain all the water from the daal and add it to the masala sautéing it for 7 – 8 minutes on a low flame, once the daal looks well coated with the masala.
- Now add around 2 – 3 cups water enough to just cover the daal a little but not flood it as the daal has to be dry.
- Let it cook in the pressure cooker for around 8 – 9 whistles or in the pan till all the water is soaker up and the daal is cooked. You can test that crushing the daal between your fingers.
- Garnish with a little Garam masala and freshly chopped Coriander before you serve it. Although I have it with Rotis, it tastes very delicious with Pooris as well.